Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Let Me Make Myself Explicitly Clear

I want to make a few things really clear.  Explicitly clear.  There are some things I have run across lately that really push my buttons.

I believe in the right to bear arms, and I believe in the death penalty.  If you look at the laws on the books, gun laws are there to protect law-abiding citizens, and I believe if you take their guns away, criminals, who already don't abide by gun laws, will hold the innocent hostage.  As for the death penalty, I have been in a position to know what some of the worst of society have done, in great detail.  There are pictures in my head of the horrible evils that humans do to other humans, and animals that I wouldn't want to share with others.  If you disagree, feel free to read case files of men on Death Row, who have committed serial offenses that make the guy from Se7en look like the Easter Bunny.  The people who commit these atrocities get put in prison, and put to death, and that makes me feel safer at night.  You don't have to agree with me.  I'm not holding the needle or forcing the justice system to do anything that it isn't already set up to do.

I believe being gay is in the DNA, not a choice.  If you disagree, feel free to read scientific articles here, here, here or to do your own research.  I'm not open to discussion on this.

I believe in equal rights for everyone, and that means all religions, people of all rainbow colors, and people of any/all sexual orientations or lifestyle choices.  I do not believe this gives any member of any of the above-mentioned groups the right to discriminate against others who don't believe the way he or she does.  This includes all business owners.  If you operate a business for profit, your job is to serve the public, not to promote your religion, your religious dogma, or any other bigoted beliefs.  If you want to use your religion to choose who you will serve, open a church so that everyone sees your true colors, instead of pretending to be a capitalist.

I vote primarily with Libertarians, because they are economically conservative, and generally socially liberal.  If you are socially conservative and want to convert me, keep on walking.  If you want to talk about how Libertarians and the Tea Party are the same thing,  you need to read your party platforms.  You also need to understand that once the Tea Party adopted the socially conservative stances they have, they also removed themselves from the few areas where they actually agreed with Libertarians.  Don't bother spending your day telling me that the Tea Party is really a Libertarian group when they are socially conservative.  For more information, read a recent article here, or watch a video here.

I'm not interested in believing God is about anything but love.  Don't bother telling me that gay people shouldn't get married or have the right to raise children together.  Your religion doesn't get to dictate your twisted version of right and wrong to me.  Don't bother telling me that it's okay to let gay people have civil unions, but that it's okay to treat them differently and not allow them to call themselves married because marriage is a religious institution.  Frankly, it hasn't been a solely religious institution for a long time, and if you're being honest with yourself, you would admit that, instead of fighting the inevitable change and progress our society is making.

I realize there are some areas where you may disagree.  You don't have to read or agree with articles I post on my facebook or on my blog.  I post them because I find them interesting, helpful, or of particular concern.  You are welcome to disagree, but keep it to yourself.  Don't post argumentative comments all fucking day, not even addressing the issue at hand, and expect me to come around to your way of thinking.  As far as I'm concerned, if you don't believe in love and equality, you're wrong.

You're not going to convince me that a loving God is a bigot.  This website has framed an educated response to the hatred and hypocrisy of the Christian church in today's time.  (And you wonder why they have such terrible reputations!)  My response in advance to those who disagree with my "loving God" hypothesis is to tell you to go read the original Dead Sea Scrolls, and translate them from the original language before you presume to quote scripture as a source for hatred.  Good luck figuring out which word translates to "homosexual," because I guarantee you that you won't find it.  If you don't have time for that, someone has done just that here.  Then, while you're at it, go read the books that the council left out of the Bible.  You can even get an e-book copy from Amazon or Barnes and Noble, for your reading convenience.  I guarantee you won't look at Jesus the same way afterwards.

While you're at it, take a closer look at heaven with Dr. Eben Alexander in his book, Proof of Heaven, which does not espouse Christianity so much as it provides reassurance of an afterlife.

After you've done the research and opened your eyes to what is really out there, maybe we can talk, or maybe you'll still be a stubborn asshole.  I don't know, but I do know it isn't my job to fix  stupid people.  I can only hope they either learn from their stupidity or just accidentally cut off their own testicles in an event worthy of a Darwin Award so they can't breed and make more.

No comments:

Post a Comment